Tuesday, July 28, 2009

The "Almost" Big Reveal

Yesterday I finally went to band not wearing a scarf on my head (they weren't satin/silk anyway...). Everyone was shocked. And still shocked. It's funny seeing people's reactions to my hair! Lol. I got all sorts of comments, positive and negative. I call this the "Almost" b/c everyone hasn't seen me yet. The "Big Reveal" will be when school starts back next Thursday!

I'm finally starting to get past the "OMGICMH" stage, and am leaning toward the "Comfortable/Curious" stage. I say comfortable because for all I can remember in my life, I have been relaxed. And I was very uncomfortable. If I could choose to have long, straight, relaxed hair and short, curly, natural hair, I'd choose natural. I'm from the South, and where I stay, I've never seen a natural sista in person. Ever. No, natural weaves don't count! But anyways, I'm starting to feel a little more comfortable in my own skin and with myself. And that's where self confidence starts, isn't it???

I say curious, because now I have to look at all new stuff whenever I go to the store. I went in Walgreens the other day, and it felt so different looking at all the stuff for curly hair instead of the stuff for straight hair. I used to just glance at that stuff, but now I actually look at it to see if I'd try it or not. I'm kinda afraid that this "newly natural" thing is gonna start a product junkie phase that's out of this world...

My dad is "thinking about getting me a celly." When he told me that, I was happy, but in the back of my mind was, "Why do you have to 'think' about it??? I'm a good kid." I really am. Oh yeah! I showed the other half of my fam my hair this weekend. When my dad saw it, he kept grabbing at my head and ruffling it like I was some little boy or something. It was really annoying. Especially when he said, "She got hair like her daddy coming through now!" to everyone.

Friday is tax-free day here. I don't think we've ever had a tax free day. I'm going to try to get my mom to take full advantage of this since I don't have any uniform shirts or any jeans to wear to school.

Well, enough has been said for today. See ya later!


Rae

No comments: